A blog dedicated to running as this gopher train his paws from a being newbie runner to a marathoner and beyond.

Saturday, July 20, 2019

Running Anew

It has been a while since I last posted here.  So many things have happened. So many things have changed.

I started this blog to document my runs. That includes training and actual fun runs and marathons. Unfortunately, just like my other “ningas cogon” projects, this one didn’t last. Hehehe.

The original plan was to document all of my preps and the actual run as I embark on my Bull Runner Dream Marathon journey. Yep, a real marathon with me going through the whole 42km.

Well, the good news is, I’ve successfully gone through the Bull Runner Dream Marathon... twice. Hahaha. I’m a full-fledged marathoner. The bad news is, I wasn’t able to document these marathons here as originally planned. Aside from the two marathons, I also served as pacer for a friend, as she did her 42km-run. Felt like I did the full marathon three times with a lot of half mary’s in between.

But after that, I stopped.

at the finish line of my first marathon

marathoner 2.0

Work got more toxic. I got more sedentary. I gained back the weight I lost. Huhuhu. I lost almost everything I gained. And no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t get back to the groove...until recently....

Two months ago I found another reason to run. Unfortunately, it was not a good reason.

I consulted a doctor two months ago because I started to experience dyspnea while doing activities that required a little extra effort. I found myself short of breath when walking three flights of stairs or walking a block while carrying a heavy bag. I was also started to develop edema of both legs after prolonged sitting or standing which I know could be signs of cardiac failure.

My cardiologist said I had mitral valve prolapse but that does not explain the dyspnea. Fortunately, after several blood tests, a 2D echo and a treadmill exercise test, he said it was not cardiac failure. He said I was deconditioned and my treatment included meds, diet and aerobic exercise. Thus the need to go back to running.

It’s not the most ideal of circumstances. Heck! I think, I could have even avoided this whole health thing had I continued with the running. But there’s no use thinking about what could have been. It is time to start anew.

I revive this blog as I rediscover the joys of running. I think it will give additional motivation thinking that something creative can come out of running again. I plan to post my progress as my way of documenting what’s happening and also as a weird way of making me accountable. Not sure if that makes sense but those are my reasons.

So that’s it. As I dust off the imaginary cobwebs and dust bunnies that accumulated in blog, I declare it officially re-opened.

Gopher is running again.

No comments:

Post a Comment