A blog dedicated to running as this gopher train his paws from a being newbie runner to a marathoner and beyond.

Saturday, January 18, 2014

new distance, new pace

Like what I wrote in my last post, I think one of the signs that I have improved as a runner is the fact that I am now running distances in regular training that would only run before in fun runs with all the fun fare. My regular training for the last two weeks was all about that.

Royson, Imye and I resumed our regular twice-a-week maintenance run but this time we added LSD runs during the weekends. This is part of our (more serious) training for the TBR Dream Marathon and for the 7 Eleven run.  We also tried a new faster pace. I have been used to running 2:1 slow for so long that I was surprised that I was able to keep up when we decided to run 3:1 moderately fast pace. Wow! With the 3:1 run-walk pace, our average pace ranges from 8:30 to 10:30 per kilometer. Nice! Applying what I've learned from the TBR training, I found it also comfortable to run a faster speed using short strides and an increased cadence.

Last January 10, the group ran 16k around MOA!  The last time I ran 16k was during the Bull Session at Nuvali. That was the farthest distance I have ran so far. But wait... there's more... by the following Sunday (Jan 12) at Diliman, we ran 18k using the same 3:1 moderately fast pace. We deserved medals for those two run. Haha. My (R) hamstring, (L) gastrocs and the soles of (B) my feet were the sites of aches and pains but aside from those, I felt fine. We celebrated by eating corn on a cob and having our feet massaged. That was a nice reward.

This week, we ran twice at MOA just for an hour each.  We tried a 3:1 fast pace on the first day and a 4:1 moderately fast pace on the second. We finished 6.8 km for 3:1 fast and 6.5 km for 4:1 mod fast. I am more comfortable with the 3:1 pace. That's what we will use for the 7 eleven half marathon tomorrow which we will consider our LSD for the week.

After running my first 21 km, the goal is to run 30 km two weeks before the big marathon day!

I feel I am now transitioning as a runner. I am slowly leaving behind my newbie self.

We no longer need medals or loot bags to encourage us to run. The goals are different now. I am different now.

2 comments:

  1. "I am different now."

    I like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Ms. Sandi. I guess preparing for a marathon really changes people :)

    ReplyDelete