A blog dedicated to running as this gopher train his paws from a being newbie runner to a marathoner and beyond.

Thursday, January 9, 2014

a running start

I really felt guilty for not being able to run on the last week of 2013 because I was on a road trip with my friends. Guilty and envious. Haha. Most of my bull runner batchmates, in our facebook page, are posting about how they are sticking to the program. A lot of them are regularly doing  (very) long slow runs with some already reaching the 30k-mark. Wow! I have a lot of catching up to. That is why, last week I ran for four consecutive days. Hehe.  Not sure if that's healthy but I had no pains after so I'm still glad I did it. I experimented on different paces to determine the ideal one to use in future long runs.

Day 1
Last Thurs, January 2, I went for a 7km-run from our condo to Luneta park and back.  I did several rounds around the Quirino Grandstand using my usual 2:1 slow run-walk pace. I was hoping to finish 10 km but my nose got irritated by the dust from the construction nearby so I left early. It was a really a slow run. My average pace was 12.55 min per km. Boo!  The holidays really got to me.

only 7km in 91 mins, oh no!

Day 2
The following day, I ran again, this time, at the Mall of Asia with Royson.  Imye was supposed to come along to practice for the 7-eleven half-marathon she also signed up for but she got sick that day. It was Royson's first long run after a long time.  Haha. Again, we used the 2:1 slow run-walk pace and finished 10 km in 2 hours and 2 minutes! That's roughly 12 min per km. Hmmm... that is still toooooo sloooooow!  With an average pace like that we will not be able to finish 21 km in 4 hours, the cut-off for the 7-eleven run and our target time for the first half of the TBR dream marathon.  We need an average pace of 10 min per km to reach our target time so we decided to run again on Sunday and try out a 3:1 slow pace. 

will never reach the cut-off time at this rate

Day 3
I couldn't wait for Sunday to try out the pace. Haha. The following day, I did a maintenance run back at the Quirino Graandstand.  Fortunately, it was no longer as dusty as the other day.  I ran for 47 minutes and finished 4.21 km using a slow 3:1 pace.  My average pace was 11 min per km. Yey!  It was still more than 10 minutes but with this average pace, we can already make it to the cut-off time. :)

around the grand stand, faster this time

Day 4
We were thinking of joining of a fun run at Diliman that Sunday but on the last minute, we decided to back out and just run. Dom and I met Royson at Welcome rotonda; and the three of us met up with Imye and her cousin, Herald at Philcoa. We got to Diliman a little past 5 AM.  It was good that we decided not to join the fun run.  They haven't started the fun run by the time we got there.  They moved the gun start to 6AM. By that time, we were already done with at least two rounds around the academic oval.

We used the 3:1 slow pace.  After a few minutes, Herald and Dom went ahead of us using a different pace. The plan was to do five rounds around the academic oval and then assess if we can run some more. We were comfortable with the pace and soon we were lost in our merry conversation.

Royson and I were wearing our TBR training shirt.  By the end of our first round, we were greeted by a lot of our TBR batchmates who were also there with their own running groups. Hmmm... let's see if I can recall the TBR batchmates that we've met.  First, we were greeted by a big group of runners who were on their 2nd day of LSD in Diliman.  I'm assuming that was the 4:1 running group of Dexter et al. We met a father with his son who was part of the fun run.  He was pacing his son during the race.  Alice, one of the people I've met during the bull session in Nuvali, ran with us for a while.  She said she was comfortable with our slow pace. We chatted while we ran.  She was the one who actually told us about Dexter's group.  After one round, we went our separate ways.  We met a couple both in TBR uniform; a lady running with two older gentlemen; a serious solo runner; and blogger Jema with the Singapore team.  I have to say, the academic oval was full of TBR dreamers.  Everyone greeted everyone.  It's a very supportive community I'm lucky to be part of.  We actually convinced Dom and Imye to join the next TBR. Hehe.

After 5 rounds and a few meters, we decided to stop. We ran 11.5 km in 2 hours and 10 minutes.  Our average pace was 11 min and 22 sec per km.  Not bad! With that pace we can already cross the 21 km mark in 4 hours. Yey!  We just need to maintain the pace.

After eating breakfast at Maginhawa St., we went home happy and satisfied.


with Royson, Dom, Imye and Herald at UP Diliman

I am proud of myself for starting the year right.  It's funny to think that before, for us to run 10 km, it has to be in a fun run with all it's trappings (medal, finisher's cert, loot bag, singlet, etc).  But now, 10 km is just part of our regular training. Haha. I love thinking about these little signs of improvement. Definitely, after almost a year of running, we have gone a long way. Pun intended. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment